Saturday, March 12, 2011

Round the bays - after


As promised here is the post event post. My official time was 1 hour and 9 minutes, considering it took me 10 minutes to cross the start line to begin it was actually 59 mins. I had wondered what it would be like to share the road with 40,000 others. It was crazy! The road was so crowded that it was really hard to get any kind of pace. In some stretches of the road I could have walked faster than the speed I was able to run at. So that was slightly frustrating and I decided not to worry about my time but about running without stopping and working on my mental ability to focus on the task at hand. It was a beautiful sunny day and having now completed my first round the bays I have recognized a few hazards along the way....

1. If you are running watch out for walkers who can't tell their left from their right - R is for right, R is for runners people...it's not a hard rule to follow :)

2. Beware of people pushing push chairs who may decide to cut across in front of you without looking behind to see if they are going to cut off any runners who are trying to get past.

3. Water stations are a double hazard....little plastic cups dropped all over the road are potential ankle rollers, and water all over the road is potential slippage material.

4. Don't listen to people who say the finish line is just around the corner! They have no idea what they are talking about!

I also discovered that the hare krishna chant is a great rhythm with which to run to. there were a group on the side of the road, I'd like to think they were cheering us on, but it sounded like their usual chant.

It was a great run for such short notice and now that I have an understanding of the challenges hopefully next year it will be even more enjoyable. I'm loving the feeling of my body starting to expect exercise and getting fitter, stronger and another step closer to C2C2012

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Heb 12:12 So don't sit around on your hands! No more dragging your feet!
Heb 12:13 Clear the path for long-distance runners so no one will trip and fall, so no one will step in a hole and sprain an ankle. Help each other out. And run for it! (Message)
YOU'RE doing it lady :) and covering all bases ... physical, emotional and spiritual ... An example for us all :)

Unknown said...

Hola Elizabeth,

Thanks for the feedback on Hare Krishnas at "Round the bays" :)

Actually I was one of them cheering the participants of "Round the bays"... Yea it was our usual chanting music which creates vibes of positivity and energy. We thought it will cheer up and raise the spirits of the tired participants. So, there we were chanting and dancing with the holy names... :) Glad you liked the music...

Cheerio
Siva