Monday, March 14, 2011

Kayak - new beginnings...

Today was a new day for my relationship with kayaking. If you are wondering why we needed a new day, go back in my blog to see how disastrous our first date was!!!!!

I am having lessons with The Paddle Doctor - Blair Roskruge, ex NZ marathon canoe coach 1992-2002.

After talking about some technique stuff and swapping boats ( first one felt too tippy) it was time to be on the water. So wearing my vest at long last I was on the water in a kayak! I learnt something really interesting as I sat there...kayaking involves the feet too! There are these pedals that steer the boat....the rudder on the back should have been a clue, but hey I don't claim to be an expert :)

So I paddled sound trying to get used to being in the boat, and trying to put into practice the things that Blair talked about. There is much to learn, and I guess the good thing is I haven't got years of unlearning to do. According to Blair I have good posture which is a good start.

I'm not yet ready to go racing on club nights but I am ready to get out on the water and paddle as much as I can.

So I feel like it's a small victory tonight, baby steps towards my grade 2 certificate.

And I'm looking forward to eventually getting my kayak out from the bubble wrap it's been in since I bought it!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

And at this point in time you have 331 days ... plenty of time :)