Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Post Race run...



This is the aftermath of my 1/2 marathon on Sunday. That will teach me for wearing cheap socks! Yesterday I was feeling pretty good, although a little tight in places, so rather than head out for a run I jumped on the bike for just a quick cycle on the wind trainer. Then I treated myself to a bath with muscle soak - bliss!

Today, being Tuesday was adirun. I wasn't too sure how I would go. Would the blister get in the way too much? Would my muscles be too sore? Or would it be my mind that would pack a sad after working so hard on Sunday to keep pushing through the pain.

I'm still on restrictions (walking the uphills) and the adirun tonight is about 1/2 uphill so it was a case of power walking the hill as much as I could. I enjoyed the flat and downhill run and when I got back to the Adidas shop I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had shaved 3 mins off my time from last week.

I learnt something on Sunday that I put into practice today and it worked. I think I have generally begun runs at a slow pace because I don't want to "run out of juice" - but I think what it means is that I finish runs with juice still in the tank. On Sunday I ran at a faster pace than I would normally for a 1/2 - and it paid off...a personal best. Tonight's adirun I started out faster than I normally do, and was able to use the uphill walk to recover so that I could make the most of the downhills and flats.

Its all a huge learning curve for me as I figure out what I am actually capable of. It's encouraging to have moments where I out do myself.

The blister is still there but those blister healing band aids are fantastic for protecting the blister and reducing the pain.

And I'm one week closer to my free tee-shirt too :)

No comments: