Friday, April 22, 2011

water water everywhere



I forgot to blog about my run last Saturday so thought I would do so tonight. When I started out on my run it was just a light shower bt I felt well prepared with my skins on and a light jacket. I decided to run to the adidas shop in newmarket and then complete my 5km track and then run home again from there. It got pretty wet and I did walk a few times along the way, mainly up the hills or when I was trying to navigate my way through the crowds who were shopping. But on the run home the heavens decided to open up just as I was running past Epsom Girls. There was crazy surface flooding so every time a car drove past the excess water sprayed up. The gutters were blocked so the water had nowhere to drain to. As I ran past my whole shoe would go under water. It was intense. By the time I got home I was totally soaked through. Water was running down my legs from the water that my shorts were holding and my shoes were squelching all over the place.

Now normally I am a lazy runner in that if its raining I think of excuses as to why I can't possibly go for a run. But I remembered the conditions from the race in 2010 and thought I need to be prepared to run in all sorts of weather. I think it was one of the most exhilarating runs I've ever done. it felt good to be running in the midst of the rain and not letting it win. And the bonus was that I wasn't hot and sweaty when I got home :) Just in need of a hot shower and dry clothes.

No more excuses for not running in the rain now I guess...

No comments: