Sunday, June 5, 2011

LUCKY LEGS...

I have been meaning to read Lucky Legs by Steve Gurney for some time now. Usually when I am in the bookstore and see it I don't have the spare $ to buy it. But this weekend by chance while browsing on amazon (kindle) I found the book - and because it was a kindle version it was at least 1/2 the price of the paper back...so I snapped it up. It has been a great way to pass the time of a quiet long weekend. I knew some of Steve's story...the multiple wins of the coast to coast, the near death situation after contracting a bug overseas, the dancing with the stars appearance...but there is SO much more to his story. It is an honest look at his weaknesses, his 'failures' and successes and all of the lessons learned along the way. I would really recommend it to anyone who is interested in sport, even if multisport isn't your thing. But beyond that it is the kind of book that would encourage anyone who is wanting to get more out of life but isn't necessarily sure how. For me one of the best bits has been reading the bits to do with the C2C and his training and race day experiences. It has been quite timely in terms of giving me a telling off :) You see before I heard the weather report for the weekend I had great plans to do a big run on Saturday, a touch of kayaking AND a bike ride. What better way to spend a long weekend right? Well the weather has been pretty crap and instead of doing all those things I've read his book, done housework and watched a lot of telly....until today. You see this morning as I was reading in the comfort of my bed I read about how he talked about training in the harder conditions so that on race day if its sunny well that's a bonus but if you only train when its nice if the day turns out to be crappy then you are in the crapper (so to speak). I realised that I have wasted opportunities this weekend to train in the crap in order to be in the prime position for race day. So I decided that I would jump on the bike and instead of just biking on the wind trainer I would try again to bike out along the bike track to west auckland. It was great to be out on the bike. Every part of my body was working way harder out on the road than on the trainer in my lounge...even my mind! It was also of interest to read that its about the quality of training not the quantity. Gosh if I start listing all the bits that were of particular interest I would probably quote over 1/2 the book. Let's just say I have lots of food for thought and a lot of work to do to be race day ready.

No comments: